Skip to main content

Blueberry Salad with Balsamic Dressing

This blueberry salad with spinach, feta, and a balsamic dressing is a total crowd pleaser.

Blueberry salad with balsamic dressing

It’s not summer until I’ve picked blueberries in Michigan. After I’ve made all the blueberry pancakes and blueberry waffles, I’m usually craving something fresh. Enter: this blueberry salad.

It’s classic, fresh, and tangy sweet from the creamy balsamic dressing. It works with just about every meal, from chicken to salmon to vegetarian dinners. It’s the perfect salad for your easy weeknight meal repertoire!

“We’re not big salad eaters, but my husband and I both absolutely love this one. So delicious, simple, and quick :)” -Kathrin

Spinach blueberry salad

Ingredients In This Blueberry Salad

I’m always looking for side dish recipes that are easy to make and versatile, and this spinach blueberry salad is both. It goes with baked salmon or creamy pasta just as well. In fact, there’s not much that it wouldn’t go with! Here’s what’s in this blueberry salad:

  • Ripe blueberries: Always use fresh berries: even better if you picked them yourself! I like to wash and dry them first.
  • Mixed baby greens or spinach: I like using a variety of greens if you can, but anything works. I often use a mix of baby spinach and baby arugula.
  • Pistachios: Chop some pistachios for a crunch, or try glazed pecans or glazed walnuts for something a little fancier.
  • Feta cheese: I love using feta to add a salty pop, or goat cheese makes a nice pairing.
  • Balsamic vinaigrette: My go-to classic dressing is made with balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, and olive oil.

Tips For A Perfect Balsamic Dressing

The balsamic dressing is what carries this spinach blueberry salad. The flavor is zesty and bright, tangy from the balsamic vinegar and balanced with a touch of maple syrup. Over the years, we’ve found a few tips for making a perfect emulsion (when the oil and vinegar combine into a creamy texture instead of separating):

  • Use a medium-sized bowl to allow for enough movement of the whisk. Trust me, I’ve done this in small bowls before and it’s almost impossible to get the oil and vinegar to meld!
  • Whisk the ingredients by hand. Start with the balsamic, Dijon mustard, and maple syrup. The Dijon mustard actually also helps to form and lock in the emulsion (I’ve used this technique in other vinaigrette recipes like Classic Vinaigrette and Italian Dressing).
  • Add the olive oil as gradually as you can: I typically add it tablespoon by tablespoon and whisk in between until the oil fully incorporates.
Balsamic vinaigrette recipe

Best Cheese For Blueberry Salad

As I mentioned, feta is my favorite for most fruit salads, but this salad works well with just about anything:

  • Goat cheese is creamier and tangier
  • Shaved Parmesan is savory instead of tangy
  • Fresh mozzarella or burrata cheese would make a more decadent salad
  • Skip it entirely for a vegan version, and add extra nuts for a contrast

Variations With Cucumbers, Almonds, And More

You can also add other ingredients to change up the vibe based on what you have on hand:

Blueberry picking

What To Serve With Blueberry Salad

Here are a few ways I like to serve this salad:

How To Store And Make Ahead

Dressed salad doesn’t store well, so if you can store all ingredients separately. The vinaigrette holds up to two weeks in a sealed jar. Washed greens, onion, feta, and nuts can each be prepped a day ahead. Rinse blueberries right before serving; washing early softens the skins.

Dietary Notes

This blueberry salad recipe is vegetarian and gluten-free. For vegan, plant-based, and dairy-free, omit the feta cheese.

Print

Blueberry Salad with Balsamic Dressing

5 Stars 4 Stars 3 Stars 2 Stars 1 Star

No reviews

How to make everyone want to eat salad? Add blueberries! This blueberry salad with spinach, feta, and a balsamic dressing is a total crowd pleaser.

  • Author: Sonja Overhiser
  • Prep Time: 15 minutes
  • Cook Time: 0 minutes
  • Total Time: 15 minutes
  • Yield: 4 1x
  • Category: Salad
  • Method: Raw
  • Cuisine: American

Ingredients

  • 1/2 recipe Best Balsamic Vinaigrette
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1/4 small red onion
  • 8 cups mixed baby greens (we used baby spinach and arugula)
  • ⅓ cup chopped pistachios
  • ⅓ cup feta cheese crumbles (omit for vegan)
  • Fresh ground black pepper

Instructions

  1. Make the Best Balsamic Vinaigrette. (*For the nutrition analysis, we’ve calculated 1 tablespoon dressing per serving. We recommend making the entire dressing recipe and saving leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator; bring to room temperature prior to serving.)
  2. Wash the blueberries. Thinly slice the red onion.
  3. Place the greens on plates, then top with blueberries, red onion slivers, feta cheese crumbles, and pistachios. Drizzle with the dressing and serve.

Did you love this recipe?

Get our free newsletter with all of our best recipes!



from A Couple Cooks https://ift.tt/IsJ391Q

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Boil Beets

Here’s a step by step tutorial on how to boil beets on the stovetop until they’re perfectly tender! This easy method is perfect for adding this root vegetable to salads, side dishes, soups, and more. Looking to cook up some beets? I’m a big fan of this nutritious pink root vegetable (after years of avoiding it!). I love it in anything from a beet salad to soup to beet hummus . There are several ways to cook beets: you can roast them or pressure cook them . But one of the quickest ways is to boil them on the stovetop! Boiling beets is simple and quick: it’s my favorite method when I’m in a hurry. How long to boil beets? Boiling beets is a fast and easy method: small beets boil in about 20 minutes, medium beets in 30 minutes, and large beets in 40 minutes. Compared to about 1 hour to roast beets, it’s a big time savings! Making oven roasted beets does accentuate their sweet flavor a bit more, so that’s my preferred method. But if you’re in a hurry, boiling beets is th...

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

This Mediterranean quinoa salad is loaded with crisp vegetables, salty feta, and a bright lemon-Dijon dressing! It tastes better the longer it sits: perfect as a meal prep lunch or easy side dish. Here’s a delicious meal-prep friendly salad that you need in your life: my Mediterranean quinoa salad! Readers loved this Mediterranean chickpea salad so much that I had to do a spin on it with one of my favorite whole grains. This recipe takes inspiration from the flavors of the region: crunchy veggies, green olives, lemon zest, and crumbled that work together to make a true personality . Plus, it holds up over time so it tastes great for 5 days of the week. I love it as a lunch salad or with air fryer chicken or air fryer salmon bites as a simple dinner! Why You’ll Love This Recipe Packed with plant protein from chickpeas and quinoa Bright, bold flavor from lemon zest, fresh parsley, and briny olives Full of healthy ingredients : it’s gluten-free, vegetarian, and Mediter...

How to Season Quinoa

My go-to quinoa seasoning turns the classic whole grain into an irresistible, flavorful side. It’s made with a few pantry staples and is endlessly versatile! If you’ve ever thought quinoa was bland, think again! This is my go-to way to season it, and it’s absolutely irresistible when it comes to flavor. It’s the recipe that convinced my family to fall in love with quinoa!   With just a few simple ingredients, you can turn this humble grain into something crave-worthy. I’ll walk you through my classic seasoning method first, and then share some fun flavor variations you can try for other quinoa-based dishes . My Favorite Seasoning Option  This whole grain has a naturally bitter and nutty flavor. With the right ingredients, though, you can easily flavor quinoa so that these bitter and nutty notes aren’t overpowering your palate.  Here’s what I use in my classic seasoning to make quinoa taste delicious:  Butter : The light sweetness and richness ...